1 one of several parts or pieces that fit with others to constitute a whole object; "a section of a fishing rod"; "metal sections were used below ground"; "finished the final segment of the road" [syn: section]
2 one of the parts into which something naturally divides; "a segment of an orange"
1 divide into segments; "segment an orange"; "segment a compound word" [syn: section]
2 divide or split up; "The cells segmented"
- a length of some object: a segment of rope
- A straight path between two points that is the shortest distance between them.
- Informally, an area of a circle resulting from cuting off from the rest of the circle by a secant or a chord.
- a part of a television program
- The news showed a segment on global warming.
- an Ethernet bus
line segment in geometry
- Czech: úseč
to divide into segments or sections
Segment may mean:
- Memory segment, the portion of computer memory which may be addressed by a single index register
- Image segment created in computer vision
- String segment, the substring of a pattern delimited by two don't cares or one don't care and beginning or end of the pattern
- Network segment, a part of a larger computer network
- A protocol data unit of the transport layer in computing, e.g. TCP segment
- Line segment, part of a line that is bounded by two end points
- Circular segment, the area which is "cut off" from the rest of the circle by a secant or a chord
segment in German: Segment
segment in French: Segment
segment in Korean: 세그먼트
segment in Japanese: セグメント
segment in Polish: Segment
segment in Russian: Сегмент
adjunct, affiliation, air line, allotment, allowance, analyze, anatomize, apportion, assay, axis, beeline, big end, bigger half, bit, bite, body, branch, break down, break up, budget, categorize, chord, chunk, church, cleave, commission, communion, community, component, contingent, cross section, cut, cut up, deal, denomination, destiny, detachment, detail, diagonal, diameter, direct line, directrix, dissect, district, divide, divide up, dividend, division, divvy, divvy up, dole, edge, element, end, equal share, faction, fate, fellowship, fraction, fragment, great-circle course, group, half, halver, helping, installment, interest, isolate, item, joint, length, lot, measure, meed, member, mess, modicum, moiety, normal, offshoot, order, organization, parcel, parcel out, part, particular, partition, party, percentage, perpendicular, persuasion, piece, portion, proportion, quadrant, quantum, quarter, quota, radius, radius vector, rake-off, random sample, ration, reduce, reduce to elements, religious order, remainder, resolve, right line, sample, sampling, schism, school, secant, seclude, sect, sectarism, section, sector, separate, set off, share, shortcut, side, slice, small share, society, split, split up, stake, stock, straight, straight course, straight line, straight stretch, straightaway, streamline, subdivide, subdivision, subgroup, subspecies, tangent, transversal, variety, vector, version, wedge, zone